Saturday, May 9, 2009

Catching Up

Photo 
Look at that side table/chest! I have been looking for something to go at the side of my computer table to store paper and other stuff. I spent lots of time hunting for something, but never found exactly what I was looking for. Wednesday I went to Bob's Discount Furniture hoping to get a memory foam mattress from the section of the store called The Pit (this is where all the not-so-perfect furniture goes at ridiculous mark-downs). 

I never got to look at the mattresses, because anything out of The Pit cannot be delivered. You haul it yourself. That's not going to happen.

I was actually walking out of the store when I decided to go back and look for my elusive side table. This beauty was sitting there at 60% discount. NOT ONE THING WRONG WITH IT. I asked the salesman about that. He said it's possible the piece was dropped and that's enough to send it to The Pit. Sold. It went from The Pit right into the back of my Fit. It was a little heavy, but I managed to get it into the house.

My bike ride
Earlier this week, Tuesday I believe, all conditions were perfect: no wind to speak of, cool temps, and tires blown up to rock hard. Went 13+ miles and it was all good. I stopped at the nursing home to visit my mom which was a good rest along the way. All in all, an excellent ride. Next time I get out there, I'll go a little farther. By the end of May I should be doing some of my longer rides.

Poetry
Went to Asnuntuck College in Enfield last night for their annual Poetry Festival. I hadn't been there before and it's quite impressive. Got the urge to take classes. The poets were college students who had submitted their work in a contest. If I remember correctly, only three of the poets were Asnuntuck students.

I met Chris Tarr who owns the bookstore in Broad Brook. He was one of the poetry students of Edwina Trentham at Asnuntuck. It was a pleasure to hear Chris read his poem, Words, from this year's 10th Anniversary poetry journal, "Freshwater." There was also an open mic...of course I read. Show me a microphone and I'll read you a poem. JJJ

Morning walk
I'm waiting for this morning's rain to stop so I can go for my morning walk. I make it sound like I do this all the time...not. And that's the problem. The scale is no longer my friend and I have to get tough on myself. I full of excuses and because of that I'm becoming full of myself and the scale is telling me how full of myself I am. That has to stop right now! Every day I have to force myself to either walk or ride or work out. No excuses. Sounds good doesn't it. Let's see if I really do it.

No comments: