Saturday, February 13, 2010

Update on My Mother


A week and a half ago, she lost her balance and luckily an aide was right there and caught her before she hit anything. She was all black and blue where the aide caught her, but none the worse for wear.

Two days ago she lost her balance again. This time she was not so lucky. The aide was right there but not able to catch her in time. The lift side of her body hit the edge of the trash can in the bathroom and she fractured ribs 4, 5, and 6. I found out later that she said she got dizzy.

When I saw her again yesterday she said she was not taking anything stronger than plain Tylenol. She claims that getting up and getting dressed was not bad.

Do we get less able to sense pain the older we get? I don’t know the answer to that, but I sure hope it’s true.

The biggest concern now is that she does not do the deep breathing and coughing in order to ward off pneumonia. That’s not easy to do with fractured ribs, but…

1 comment:

Elaine said...

Oh how terrible for her Bev! I'm sending her a card right away. It won't make her heal any faster but it might make her smile. :)