Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Electrical and Electronics


I don’t know what’s going on with the planets, but one (or more) of them is messing up my life! I guess the gods in control of all things electric and electronic are grumpy. All this happened Sunday and Monday, November 17th and 18th if you care to chart this astrologically.

Coffee Maker
Sunday morning I proceeded to make my coffee as usual. The coffee maker did not want to cooperate. I pushed the button I always push and nothing happened. What? Not so early…don’t do this to me. I went so far as to pull out my old coffee pot. But, before I plugged it in, on a whim, I turned back to my coffee maker and pushed a different button. YES! There was coffee. The question being now: why didn’t the middle button work?

Just for the thrill of the adventure, with no K-cup in place, I pushed the middle button, and, of course, it worked…and has continued working.

Lights
Monday morning, my daughter, who was visiting, attempted to put the front hall light on and for whatever reason managed to disable the hall light and the outside light. There are two switches for those lights and I never use the one by the front door. My daughter did. I tried everything…played with the switches, changed the bulbs. I even checked the electric panel. Finally I gave up. I washed the fixture cover and made the decision to wait until my sons could look at it. At least the cover was clean.

Much later in the day, while I was making supper, without thinking, I hit the switch for the front hall light so I could see into the front hall closet. THE FREAKING LIGHT CAME ON! And the outside light!

Monday Washing Machine Blues
Load 1: no problem
Load 2: at the end of the cycle my clothes were still very wet. The timer knob was not where it was supposed to be. I did my best to find a spin cycle and got them less wet. I was ready to call appliance repair.
Load 3: decided to let ‘er rip…just to see what would happen! Would you believe load 3 went through without a hitch? 
Load 4: I had to run another load just to be sure Load 3 wasn’t an anomaly. Load 4 went through flawlessly.

It’s wasn’t over.

Food Saver
After lunch I took a small loaf of gluten free bread out of the fridge to vacuum seal and put in the freezer until my daughter comes back at Christmas time. The darned vacuum sucker upper wouldn’t suck up. I cannot deal with this right now.

But, There’s hope
The coffee pot, lights, and washing machine all self-corrected. I have great hopes for the Food Saver.

Oh! And you better believe I made sure the Time Machine automatic back up software was running in case my computer decided to join in!