Wednesday, September 30, 2026

 SEPTEMBER 1 – 30

            September has started out very humid! I feel like I’m breathing under water. Temps have been all over the place. Chilly and damp yesterday; warm and humid today. I never know what to wear. And it’s only the 3rd!

THE ZOO

            Rigby has to bark at every little sound lately. Every time someone walks across the street or the neighbor across the street takes their dog out, Rigby goes nuts. Lately Martha joins in. Today I had to squirt him with the water bottle a few times. He hates that, but it doesn’t stop him.

            Mama Bear brought home a mouse this morning and dropped it on the step just outside the door. A few seconds later Kathy looked for it (thinking it was dead and needed to be disposed of) and it was gone. Very unusual. Mama usually does not bring them home alive!

CABLE TV

            We received a letter today from Cox Communications telling us they are now Spectrum and we should see some changes soon at no additional cost. One BIG change is we will be getting streaming apps which will include Peacock! I won’t have to miss any more basketball games. We will probably have to upgrade our Contour boxes, but so what. I don’t know what that will mean for my email address. I wasn’t able to find a definitive answer when I went to the web site. Stay tuned!

SMALL APPLIANCE

            Dyson vacuum cleaner to be specific. Last week I could smell cat pee when I was using the vac. Wherever it was I didn’t see it. So, I took the floor attachment outside and rinsed the beater bar. Never thought to REMOVE the beater. Long story short…it doesn’t turn anymore. The water did something to it and now it doesn’t work. Still under warrantee and I have been without it for 2 ½ weeks. The store sent it back to Dyson for repair. Waiting!

9/11

            That morning 25 years ago, I came into the kitchen after having hung out a load of laundry. On the TV, over Greg Gumbol’s shoulder, I could see the first plane heading straight for the first tower. I immediately knew what was happening. Another day where I will never forget where I was when tragedy struck.

VACATION

            We left for Cape Cod on the 17th. Just before the Bourne Bridge on Rte 25 we saw 4 huge wind turbines! My word, those blades are massive! We finally found the Box Lunch (which is no longer on Rte 6 in Eastham). I got my John Alden wrap! Eventually checked into the Viking Shores Motel. Comfortable beds. Not enough room to handle our “stuff”! Would be nice to have hooks in the bathroom to hang clothes while changing. Their coffee in the office sucks big time.

            Today is the 18th and we are going on a whale watch. After we get back to shore we plan to have dinner at the Lobster Pot. We have to get back to the Visitor’s Center to see if there are any books for Maya and Ronan.

            Got books for the Great Grands and the whale watch was spectacular! Saw at least 20 whales and most of those up close and one was very personal!

            On the 19th, Kathy decided she wanted to go on a Dunes Tour. So, we did. The artist’s/writer’s shacks and the parabolic sand dunes were so interesting and beautiful. I bought a book, titled “Salt” that is about one of the shacks. Can’t wait to read it!

            On the 20th, Sunday, we headed home. Glad to be home. I want my own bed with sheets that fit it and familiar temperature control. Also hooks in the bathroom so I can hang my clothes as I change them!  really don’t travel well.

            We ate well! Lots of lobster at the Lobster Pot (I had lobster primavera) and the Coffee Pot (we had hot lobster rolls here). We brought lobster home. We had our breakfasts at The Fairway Restaurant. Their food and service is the best. And lunch on Thursday had to be at the Box Lunch (once we found it…they moved). I was able to get my John Alden wrap that has turkey, onion, lettuce, tomato, cranberry sauce, and stuffing. Sooo good!

            As for the motel, I don’t think we will stay there again. The internet connection was funky, but at least I was able to get online and watch WNBA basketball. Then the sheets and lack of hooks. Plus, they had the worst coffee I have ever had! If you know me, you know I like my coffee and a like dark roast!

WEATHER

            The insurance company finally allowed work to commence on the winter  water-damaged ceiling in the kitchen…including mold! Paul (contractor) took the damaged part of the ceiling down and removed the soggy, moldy insulation. That was on the 15th. Then we went to the Cape and then there was nothing but rain since…including the nor’easter. We had buckets on the counter to catch the dripping. It also dripped around the window over the sink. That’s more wall that has to be opened when Paul comes back. There is a large open space in the ceiling, one whole cabinet gone and everything in chaos! All of this in the area where I can no longer do all my meal prep. My routine no longer exists and meal prepping is a challenge. 

 

That’s it for another month. Be happy! Stay well!