Thursday, October 13, 2011

There’s a First Time for Everything!




















My Beautiful New Mantle
A few months after I settled into my condo, I was in Goodwill looking for something…don’t remember what. However, I did find these beautiful candle holders. Perfect. Well, guess again. When I put them on the mantle they were too wide! My bargain $4 each candle holders would not fit on my mantle…for a year they sat on the hearth. There was a solution…but it cost me!


After a year of planning and saving, my bargain candle holders have a brand new mantle to sit on. The old mantle was very narrow and painted. When I taped up Christmas decorations the tape pulled the paint off. Ooops! ☺

I had never stained anything before and here I was faced with this super important focal point in my living room. I took more than one deep breath before I started. I consulted my son, Paul, since he had done an entire floor and knew more than me. His advice was priceless!

(exhale! ☺☺)

Spaghetti Sauce
This I don’t have any pictures of…just use your imagination.

I had the opportunity to get a lot more tomatoes than I could use right away at the end of the tomato season. I had never prepared tomatoes for freezing before but I knew you should blanch them first to take the peels off. With one batch I tried squeezing the water out of them before freezing and decided that was not my method of choice. The next couple of batches were frozen whole (after blanching) and I’ll poke holes in the freezer bag when I defrost them for sauce. The liquid can drain out the holes and save me the squishy job.

Even though the seeds are not an issue, I think next year I’ll de-seed the tomatoes in addition to blanching.

Doing things you’ve never done before…that’s what keeps life interesting. ☺

No comments: