Saturday, August 16, 2014

Back Garden News


If you look back to my post of June 23rd (Gramma the Ditch Digger - Part III) of this year, you will see that I talked about sticking a rose cane into a potato, planting both of them, and I would (should) have a new rose plant. Well……….

Take a look at this photo. The little plant on the right and the bigger one to the left. Do they look like roses to you or potatoes? I’m going spuds!
 
Doesn't look like roses, so it must be potatoes

Now, I need your help identifying this plant.
 
What is the tall plant in the center?
I think it’s a weed, but I left it to grow just to see what it would do. The condo landscaper guys cut down my ornamental peppers, but they were careful not to touch this. Go figure! What is it?

My two hanging basket plants, two varieties of petunia, have died. Don’t know why. They got plenty of water and fertilizer, but they didn’t last. Next year I’m not going to bother with hanging baskets. Everything I do will be in the ground.

Up on the deck (just check out photos I’ve posted before) the begonias, upright fuchsia and vinca are all spectacular.

I’m picking tomatoes now. So far this month I’ve picked about a dozen. One batch weighed in at 28 oz, which I processed and froze. That will either be cream of tomato soup or spaghetti sauce. I have another 2 lbs ready to be processed. All the while I have plenty to slice up with cukes and a dressing made up of sour cream and mayonnaise. Oh, I’m getting hungry!

So, that’s it from the back garden for now.