Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Memories of Record Low Temperatures


During the coldest part of any winter, I think back to one winter when I was a very little girl…I’m guessing 7 years old.

My family, (father, mother, brother and me) lived in a house that was built in the early 1900s to house farm hands. This is in the Wapping section of South Windsor. The house had no insulation, single floors, garage/cellar under the house, no central heat and it stood on a little knoll with nothing to protect it from the wind. In the winter it could get quite cold. My brother and I would come downstairs in the morning and stand on chairs next to the big black stove to get dressed. Every fall, my father would buy a crate of Macintosh apples and we would store them in the upstairs closet that was open to both my bedroom and my brother’s.

One winter in particular I remember, for a few nights, we couldn’t sleep upstairs. My father closed off the dining room so the heat from the big black stove in the kitchen would, hopefully, warm the living room, too. My brother, who was 11, and I slept on the couch, layered with blankets.  We slept feet-to-face, and because he was longer than I, his feet came closer to my face than mine to his. My mother and father slept on the floor on a mattress my father brought down from upstairs.

There were many cold winters before we had central heat, but this one is the one I remember most. Maybe that is the reason, to this day, I like a cold bedroom. I sleep with an open window all year round (except heat waves)…the degree of open depending on the outside temperature.

On last night’s weather, it was pointed out that February 16, 1943, had the record low temperature of -24°. That had to be the winter I remember.

Keep in mind, I would have been in the third grade by this time and we walked to school…one mile away. And, no, it was not up hill both ways! The older kids were instructed to keep an eye on themselves and the younger kids in case of frostbite.

I don’t know if this was the same winter or not, but one winter we had so much snow the Army tanks went down Clark Street side by side clearing the drifts. That was quite a sight! The Army was bivouacked in a field not far from our house. That would make it during WWII, so 1943 would also make sense.

Ah, those were the days.