Thursday, May 28, 2015

No Coyotes; Eating Like a Bird; Summer Exercise; Computers


Where did all the coyotes go?
A couple winters ago, I was awaken one night by the sound of a pack of coyotes chasing something…probably a deer. There hasn’t been much in the way of wild life around here until this spring.

We now have a family of rabbits, and the other day I saw a young deer down by the river.

Is it safe to assume something happened to the coyotes?

If you’re eating like a bird you need to go on a diet!
This is a story told in dollars and pounds of birdseed. This winter I bought more birdseed than, probably, the two previous winters combined to the tune of almost $500. Here’s the tally:
120 lbs sunflower hearts
64 lbs safflower seed
198 lbs mixed econo-seed (for the ground feeders)
80 lbs thistle
20 trays of suet

Can’t wait for next winter. Maybe I should start saving up…or take out a loan. Watching the birds gives me a lot of pleasure, so I don’t mind the expense.

Staying out of the gym.
During the growing season, I spend my time out in my little gardens. In the morning I work in the back gardens before the sun comes around. There’s always weeding and I like to keep the ground loose with my garden weasel. And, of course, watering.

Speaking of watering…last summer I went through 5 of those green expanding garden hoses. Every one of them sprung a leak either at the nozzle end or in the hose itself. I was really tired of taking showers in full view of the neighbors. I only bought one hose…I kept bringing them back in exchange for a new one.

So this year, on the suggestion of my neighbor, Mike, I took the last green, leaky hose back to the store and exchanged it for a new, improved, black hose with brass fittings. Guaranteed!

Well, I’m done. No more expanding hoses for me. This one gave me a super shower. It blew like old faithful. I still have one down in the utility room that I use in the back gardens. You can bet I’ll be examining that sucker very closely. If it blows in the finished basement it will be a disaster.

Wish me luck!

OK. So gardening is one way to exercise. I also go bike riding and hiking on wooded trails. That’s it. Nowhere near as exciting as blown garden hoses.

Computers
The computer upon which I type these stories (plus emails and web browsing) was purchased in 2005. It has been upgraded a couple of times. Also has a new battery (that wasn’t cheap!). I love my MacBook, but it’s getting old.

I am at the point where I would need to upgrade my OS in order to upgrade my browser (Safari) in order to look at the latest upgrade of Google Maps. I can’t see some things on YouTube, and other sites tell me I need to upgrade my browser if I want to look at them. Grrrrrr!

There is a new MacBook in my future. It has to have a disc drive slot and I need a new version of Microsoft Office. The MacBook comes with Apple software, but I want Microsoft in addition. Depending on the price, maybe I’ll add a new printer. I would like to have my computer and iPad talk to the printer wirelessly. I want the whole enchilada! I’m putting it out to the Universe and going for it.

Don’t wish me luck…wish me a new computer.