Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Slipcovering An Old Hassock – Part 2

It was not my original intention to make this a series of posts, but, what the heck, this may be a lot of fun, so why not share it with my vast reading audience.

For someone who hates shopping, I sure did a lot of it today. I left the house at 10:30 this morning and got home at 2:30.

My first stop had nothing to do with slipcovering; I had a gift card for L.L. Bean (from my kids) and thought today would be a good day to go shopping. Got the coat I wanted and stood in line for half an hour before getting to the register. I thought yesterday would be the crazy day. I heard a manager say that the line yesterday was 3 times what it was today. Wow! OK. That’s done and I have a wonderful, new coat.

While I was in the neighborhood, I went to Jo-Ann Fabrics for the foam I need for the hassock. I found the three-inch foam (I will use two layers) and see that it is $49.99 a yard (choke) and I left my 50% off coupon at home. Darn!

Went home, dropped off my new coat, picked up the coupon and went to Jo-Ann’s closer to home. The three-inch foam is still $49.99, but I now have a 50% off coupon and I only need 31 inches (15.5 x 2). Final cost: $22.89.

Now I need to replace the piece of wood that formed the base of the seat. On to Home Depot and the plywood department. Back in the Cutting Center I find a scrap piece of Eucaboard (used for making peg board I was told). The kind gentleman figured out what it would cost me for a piece 15.5 x 22 inches…$2.00. Sold. The first piece he cut was just a tad too wide, so he cut me another piece. Told me to take both pieces. I’ll try to use both pieces. That will make the seat that much sturdier.

My last stop was at Mac Donaldo’s for lunch…cost of a Big Mac not included in the cost of the materials.

Foam:         $22.89
Wood:         $ 2.00
Fabric:        $25.00 (maybe it cost that much…that was a good       
                                      5 years ago)
Total:          $49.89 (you couldn’t buy a new hassock for 
                                       anywhere near that today)

You’ll notice that my total cost is .10 less than the cost of one yard of 3-inch foam.

I guessing Part 3 will be all about how I cut my piece of foam in half (so I have two 15.5-inch-wide pieces to stack one on top of the other); how I was able to nail down the pieces of wood (and how many fingers suffered in the process); and how I covered everything with a piece of muslin, just to keep everything anchored. Oh, and to do that I need to use an electric staple gun. Hahahahahaha! 

                                                  😰😰😰😰

Just decided to use the staple gun to attach the Eucaboard. Not sure which method will save the fingers! 🙄


Until then…..