Monday, September 9, 2019

After much trepidation and random button clicking I'M BACK on my blog spot! 

It has been a long time since my last post. I strongly believe Facebook brought an abrupt end to my posting. Once I had put it in a facebook post, what was let to say. My new plan is to post here at least once a month...maybe more if the occasion calls for it.

So...what have I been up to? Well, let me tell you, it has been mostly the East Windsor (CT) Historical Society. 

In 2016, I began researching three historic houses where I had lived in East Windsor, CT. It was not as simple as I thought. I soon realized I needed to research the history of these houses, not just my memories. And, so it began. I went from researching at Town Hall to visiting the Historical Society. I found all the information I needed. I also saw that the Historical Society needed volunteers to help with the work of accessioning all the items that had been donated over the years. 

One person could not possibly bring all that information up-to-date; and one person was trying to do just that. There were 3 x 5 index cards with the information, and more recently, there were proper donor forms. Lots to do. So I volunteered to help...and I haven't left. 😉

From there I became involved in other activities. Every August we put on an Ice Cream Social. The first one I got involved in, 2017, included the 100th Anniversary of the East Windsor Academy, the grand opening of the Osborn House, as well as the Ice Cream Social itself.

For more information on the Historical Society you can go to www.eastwindsorhistory.com.

So, that's where I've been and it looks like I'll be there for a good long time. Lots of work to be done, and, as so often happens, too few volunteers.

What else have I been up to? I bought a new bike this spring. The weather hasn't been the best for me to ride (I'm 83). Yesterday I finally had a beautiful day and no other plans, so I took a bike ride on the Windsor Locks/Suffield Canal. I will let the pictures speak for themselves. The important thing here, is that the canal has been terribly neglected by the owners. Yes, even though this is on the National Historic Register, its owners are neglectful. The canal was build by Irish immigrants from 1827 - 1829, and has been neglected since the new owners took charge. I called them out on my facebook page. I probably should make that posting PUBLIC. I will do that when I finish here. You can search facebook for Beverly Robidoux Titus, and you should be able to see my original posting there.

Here are the pictures I took. They are on facebook as well.

 This is what's left of the old Enfield dam

 The canal at the north end lock

 A low spot in the river where the rapids are
 The north end of Terry's (King's) Island

 The south end of the island

 A little graffiti under the railroad bridge

 And a little more on the other side

 This is what you do with left-over paint

 A piece of railroad machinery up on the trestle

 The canal crosses Stony Brook by an aqueduct.

 The south end of the trail

 The end of the trail closer to the Montgomery Building apartments

 Just one example of the condition of the path

 Does this look like what water in a canal on the National Historic Register should look like?

 Needs dredging. Badly silted. Has formed new land

 Debris along the canal banks. Below, more debris that will sit there until it rots.