Thursday, November 21, 2019

UPGRADING

It looks like I’m just about finished with upgrades.

Last year about this time I bought the new refrigerator...French doors, with freezer on the bottom. I’m not a big fan of freezer on the bottom, but it’s OK.

In April, it was the quartz countertops in the kitchen and downstairs bathroom. That was complete with new sinks and faucets.

A couple weeks ago, the new under-the-cabinet/over-the-stove microwave went in. I can reach the microwave fine. What I can’t reach is what’s in the cabinet! I had to buy a small folding step ladder.

And Monday of this week, I bought a new Epson printer. This one purchase was the most involved. (The countertops come in a close second!) On Tuesday I wasn’t feeling up to the task of setting up the printer. Oh, I wasn’t going to do it myself! No NO no no no! I had a phone number for that. Another plus, I can buy each ink cartridges separately! 

On Wednesday (yesterday) I called the number for Staples Tech (I bought the printer at Staples). I got a nice young man on the phone, Ryan. All I had to do was sit back and watch him take over my computer and saw magical things happening on the screen. Easy.

After spending the morning with Ryan, I went out and bought a new toaster oven. I needed something smaller and more streamlined than what I had.

Later (it's still Wednesday), when I went to scan something, it was obvious we had forgotten to set up the scanner! So, I called again and got Terra on the phone. I no sooner told her what the problem was then the line disconnected and she never called me back. Hmmmm! It was getting late, so I tried to shut down my computer. It refused to do that because the printer’s something-or-other was using something and would not let me do that. OK. Tomorrow (which is now today) is another day!

Here we are, Thursday morning. I call the magic number and get Mona on the phone. Well to make a long story short, she had to delete everything Ryan did the day before and reinstall everything from scratch...including the scanner. The scanner part was not fun. It seems this printer, the XP-7100, does not support my computer when it comes to operating the scanner from the printer. BUT she was able to install the scanner so I can operate it right from my computer...which is how I did it on my 15-year-old Epson.

So, now I’m happy. Two days and three technicians later my new printer/scanner is operating. AND, under certain conditions, I can also print from my iPad. This is all wireless, of course.

Now, let me tell you what makes me happiest of all! When I bought the printer, I also bought a 4-year Protection and Tech Help Service Contract for $29.99. If I had a tech from Staples come out to my house once to do the install, it would have cost me $150.00!!! I have already gotten my money’s worth wouldn’t you say?

Oh, and I’m not finished with upgrades yet. After the first of the year, the kitchen and bathroom will get a new coat of paint. Don’t know what color(s) yet, but that’s not for another couple of months.

As of this moment, life is good. If I have any more printer problems, I have that magic phone number!