Monday, August 11, 2008

REI Outfitting Shake-down Ride #3



















Photos
Coyotes!? During my ride yesterday I went through the industrial park. I needed to make some adjustments to my bike and my body so I was looking for a shady place with, hopefully, a picnic table. I found the perfect spot and stopped. While I was adjusting my sandals, I looked up and almost had a heart attack! There, not 20 feet away from me were two coyotes. Then relief! They were molded plastic. Scared the bejeepers out of me! I seen plastic cutouts of coyotes but never molded ones. If they looked that real to me can you imagine how they most look to geese? The animal on the right looks like it's experiencing distress of some kind. ☺☺ (click on photos to enlarge)

Shake down ride
In our last episode I was complaining (commenting!) that pedaling seemed hard. Well it was and I found out why Sunday morning. The rear brake pads were rubbing on the wheel. Not good. Paul came over to use my computer and, being a great mechanic, fixed my rear brakes. That was good.

I finally got my ride underway with two panniers in front and in back and the rear pack firmly tied down. It rode well. The rubbing brakes were, apparently, the problem and pedaling was smooth and relatively easy. Even with a head wind, the resistance offered by the panniers was hardly noticed.

The next ride will be with only two panniers. I want to see if I can fit everything into only two bags. Of course I’ll let you know what happens!

No comments: