Friday, March 11, 2011

March 6 through 12 Summary





































Photos
Clockwise starting at top left: pairing up; shimmer; feed me; everybody up

Felt like I caught it
Back on the 4th I had gone to the nursing home to see my mother knowing they were having a GI event on a rampage throughout the facility. On the 6th I thought I was coming down with the grumblies. I was scheduled to attend a poetry reading featuring my good friend, Colin Haskins, in Willimantic, but canceled it not knowing if I was going to be sick. Got up the next morning feeling fine. I guess had a touch of it. My mother, it seems, was probably not a victim of the “bug” after all. It was another problem that has since been taken care of.

Beautiful day for a walk
On Tuesday, I took a walk down to the boat launch. I had a bag of old bread for the ducks and geese and I wanted to see how high the river had come up. The river, as you can see in the pictures, wasn’t very high and the geese were demanding. It is a nice walk…about half a mile. I need to do more walking and probably will now that I’m working on my exercise regimen. More on that later.

Alliance for Wholistic Living
Thursday I was scheduled for an orientation meeting with The Alliance for Wholistic Living (… a group of centers, practitioners and interested community members, focused East of the Connecticut River with the mission of promoting holistic living in our communities through collaborative ventures.) I was on time, but I was in the wrong place. I’ll try again next month.

Earthquake and tsunami
We live in such an incredible time of instant communication. To think we were able to see the totality of the earthquake and resulting tsunami as it was happening. I’m get so excited about that, but it still boggles my mind.

Welsh poetry
Saturday, the 12th, I will be at a poetry reading at Russell Library in Middletown (2 pm). Friends, Glyn Dowden and Stephanie Elliott, will be celebrating Welsh poets. Glyn, a genuine Welshman, will read as the persona of Dylan Thomas. Stephanie will read the poetry of Welsh women. There will be an open mic and I will read my poem, “Beyond the Mists,” which has Celtic roots and is the title of my first chap book.

Working out
Starting this week I have forced myself to workout every day. On Monday, Wednesday and Friday it is The Core Program as outlined by Peggy Brill, P.T. in her book by the same name. I don’t know if the book is still in print. The Core Program is strictly for women and works on strengthening the back, abdomen and hips. The first couple of days my right hip flexor was really barking, but today it was good. AND I was able to walk normally because the flexor doesn’t hurt like it used to. The Program also works on the legs by virtue of their connection to the hips.

On Tuesday and Thursday I start out in the morning with water aerobics (sometimes Saturday, too) and later in the day I work with free weights.

I need a strong body for bike riding season and for walking and running up and down two flights of stairs. In other words, I need a strong body because I have plans. ☺ ☺ Can you say zip-line?

So that’s it for now. Hopefully we’ll get together again next week.

1 comment:

Kathi Noce said...

Bev - thanks for keeping this updated for me! Kathi