Thursday, July 12, 2012

The Red Sox…Historically



I have been a Red Sox fan since 1946. My big brother, Paul, was a Red Sox fan so that meant I was too. He also got my mother hooked. My brother worked on broad leaf tobacco in the summer (all our neighbors grew it) so my job was to listen to the games and write down everything every Sox player did. Of course that was when there were only eight teams in each league. When the Red Sox game would be rained out, the radio station would do a teletype play by play of some other game. Oh! Those were the days, indeed!

The Red Sox always had good players. Sometimes they even had good teams, but never good enough to capture that World Series. We waited a long, agonizing time for that to happen. My two favorite players have to be Ted Williams (left field slugger) and Mel Parnell (left handed pitcher who pitched a no-hitter in 1956 against the Chicago White Sox).

That was then. This is now.

Even with two World Series Championships under their collective belts, the team went into major meltdown in September of last year and they haven’t pulled out of it yet even though it is not the same team. There aren’t many players left who were there last year. This year they are injury plagued necessitating calling up a lot of AAA players…who have played very well, by the way!

In all my years of watching the Red Sox, I have noticed this: if they are playing very good before the All Star Game, they hit the skids after and pretty much disappear. If, however, they are playing lousy prior to the All Star Game, they seem to catch their second wind and come on like gang busters to the finish line.

We all know how they have been playing up to this year’s All Star game. Will we see the “historical” Red Sox from here on out? I hope so. This year has been painful to watch.

Only time will tell.