Sunday, July 7, 2013

Hot and Humid


Here we are again…another heat wave. In the northeast, it takes three days of 90° or more to constitute a heat wave. Today is day four and should be the last for several days. The humidity is expected to continue. As grateful as I am for the portable air conditioner I have in my bedroom, I really look forward to being able to sleep with my windows open.

You might have heard the saying, “it’s not the heat it’s the humidity!” That is the truth. When the dew point is in the 70s day and night after day and night one’s store of good humor begins to get shabby around the edges.

If I need to go out, I make sure it’s early in the morning before things get too hot. This morning, I went out in the little garden at the back of my condo to weed as much as I could before the heat set in. First I put on a long sleeved shirt that I had treated with bug spray, then sprayed my shorts and legs. Having done that I set about to try to figure out what was a weed and what was not. There are a couple of things growing out there that I know are weeds, but it looks like they will flower. I’m not picky about where my flowers come from. If that weed wants to flower, I’ll be the first one out there admiring it!

It doesn’t look like my morning glories will blossom. Maybe it’s because I planted them on the back side of the condo where they don’t get sun until 11 o’clock or so. Next year I will plant them out front and plant from seeds…not wait until the plants are ready in the garden shop.

I have 15 tomatoes of varying sizes. When they first appeared, they grew quite rapidly and then they seemed to stop. I’m just hoping they will ripen. Right now the biggest one is about the size of a plum and they go down to grape size from there. I was hoping to have so many ripen at one time I would have to freeze what I couldn’t use right away. Not sure that is going to be a concern.

But it is July after all. And this July is so very different from last July and I’m sure next July will be different, too. It is quite possible that the jet stream will do something different in the next few days and the northeast could be switched to a cool and comfortable rest-of-the-summer. Please, God!