Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Let’s Talk About Winter

After the winter of 14/15 that we went through, you might react to the subject in one of two ways: 1) delight in what cold felt like since Connecticut is at the end of its second heat wave of this summer, with high humidity ; or 2) you remember what cold felt like and you went running and screaming in a southerly direction. Either way, the signs of our upcoming winter are beginning to show themselves.

I can’t help but notice that the trees are starting to change color. It’s very subtle on most trees, but there are a few that are in almost full autumn array.

In conjunction with color change, the leaves are beginning to shrink. When I look out at the woods behind my condo, I’m beginning to see daylight in places that were once a solid wall of leaves.

Another sign of winter, and this looks like it could be a bad one (the winter that is, not the sign), there is a bumper crop of choke cherries this year on the trees around the complex.

Would you believe the birds are beginning to assemble outside my patio door? First it was the mourning doves and today a bunch of sparrows. They are rummaging around where the seeds get thrown on the ground all winter. Pretty soon I start feeling like I’m in the middle of an Alfred Hitchcock movie.

Last week the Old Farmer’s Almanac showed up on my Facebook page twice. Like I didn’t notice the first time that it’s predicting a worse winter than last year. Then, again on Facebook, I get a multi-colored map showing well above average snowfall for the mid-Atlantic coast right up through coastal New England. The rest of you folks are gonna git it too, so don’t go being so smug!

Here’s an observation of interest: no acorns and no squirrels. I’ve read somewhere that the acorns go on a cycle that has nothing to do with squirrels and vice-versa. However, when there are fewer squirrels born in the spring, I sorta kinda get the feeling that there is going to be an acorn shortage…and there usually is.

Some of you take off for Florida or some other winter-warm place. I do miss you when you’re gone, and always so happy to see you when you return with that obscene tan.

No matter how you choose to face the coming winter, there is no way to stop it. I have such deep New England roots that I don’t mind winter. I’m blessed with a nice warm home with enough food to get me through the storms, and a crew of shovel-toting guys who do the heavy lifting.

Perhaps the biggest reason why I don’t mind winters…I marvel (maybe delight even) at the power of Nature. How awesome these storms can be and what it takes for us to deal with the results of that fury. As long as I have friends with generators, I’m all set!


Enjoy!