Friday, September 11, 2015

Gluten Free? Say It Isn’t So!

Back in March, my naturopath strongly suggested I adopt a gluten free diet to see if my thyroid function would improve. I researched the subject and found that in some cases gluten can affect the thyroid gland. Hmmm.

I agreed to go 95% GF because there was no way I was going to eat GF pasta! If I eat out or if I’m at a friend’s house and they are serving regular, delicious food…I was going to eat it. Especially if it's garlic breadsticks or carrot cake!

I got the results of my blood test back in August (done on 8/15…so that’s 5 months GF). Damn! My thyroid function has improved to the point where the dosage of medication I’m taking is too much. Damn! It wasn’t supposed to be this way (according to me). Damn.

Going GF caused me to lose a few pounds. So the question is: did my thyroid function improve because of the weight loss because of the lack of gluten in my diet or was it the gluten itself that was affecting my thyroid? The answer is: it was the gluten itself. Damn!

So. Now what?

I have found a GF pasta that does taste good, and that means I can go back to regular bread. I have missed my potato bread so much. Hopefully I won’t have to make any more dietary adjustments. My regular doctor is adjusting my thyroid medication and my naturopath thanked me for the update.

All snacks and pasta now are gluten free. It’s not as bad as I thought it would be. As long as I can have my potato bread…I might have three slices in the course of a week.


The dust has settled on this upsetting chapter in my life. 

Next?