Thursday, October 29, 2015

Fall Beauty and Gardening Chores

Never did I think I would be out in my back garden on October 29th in a tank top, working the soil, and sweating like crazy. It is crazy!

I cut the sedum back as well as the pink phlox. The sedum has already started on next year’s growth. That plant, by the way will be divided into 4 and three given away!

The bleeding hearts have stopped blossoming but the plants seem to be unaffected by any frost we’ve had…and we’ve had a few. I’ll just leave them.

I worked the soil with my garden weasel and was able to pull up some of the biggest clumps of grass that started growing. I think I’ll put down some weed and feed now and maybe it will discourage grass and weed growth in the spring, as well as give them a feeding boost.


The shepherd’s crooks are up and ready for filled seed feeders. I bought the seed today and I’m waiting for it to turn cold. As long as the weather stays mild the birds will be ok. I checked the low temps for the next ten days and they will be from the high 30s to the upper 40s. If this keeps up I’ll save money on birdseed (as well as natural gas heating). For 6 months last year (Nov. through April) feeding the birds cost an average of $80 a month. I don’t mind. Watching the birds all winter gives me so much pleasure.

This picture has nothing to do with gardening. It's all about beauty. This is what I look at out my back door. And, as I write this, a weather front is blasting through from the SW with 25 mph winds. I don't think the leaves will last much longer.

Bleeding Heart. They still look great!

This is the sedum. Two years ago it was a little bitty thing. Look at it now!