Friday, October 31, 2008

New England Folklore


Photo
This is a squirrel nest in the woods behind my house that has to be 60 ft. off the ground.

What squirrel in its right mind would build a nest way up there? Kathy calls them “tree rats”. This one must be related to the one I had around here a couple years ago that was longer than your average varmint and was able to get at the bird seed without dropping the “door” over the seed tray. That son-of-a-gun hung by one back paw, right over the seed tray, and ate to its heart’s content! That was when I bought a big water gun to fight off that damn squirrel!

Folklore of northern New England (told to me by a New Brunswick, Canada friend) says the height of squirrel nests, is an indication of how much snow the winter will bring. I hope that is as wrong as the one that says the day of the month the first measurable snow falls, is the number of storms for the winter. This year that would be a big OUCH considering we just had a heavy snowfall in many sections of the northeast.


Would you believe I was married on this day in 1959? If you are a regular reader of this journal you will have no problem believing! ☺

No comments: