Thursday, October 23, 2008

Winter is Coming



















Photos

Left: Autumn foliage at Crandall Pond in Tolland, CT
Right: Probably the most exquisite photo I have ever taken. This is a picture of the water with the trees reflected.
Click on photos to enlarge. They are worth it!

Ancient Memories
I know when cold weather, winter, is coming. I go through a change from “go-go-go” to let’s curl up with a good book and soft music. My body genetically remembers an ancient time when the cave had to be readied for cold weather. Foods had to be stored against the time of little or none.

In my current body, I start cutting out recipes for hearty soups. In no time I will have a pile of recipes for just about every cream soup imaginable—some in duplicate or triplicate. I can’t help myself. I have this desire to feel warmed from the inside out.

Anyone who knows me, knows I am not considered “a cook.” Oh, sure, I can fix a meal that will taste good and look good on the plate. But fancy I am not!

So here we are, the 23rd of October (Happy Birthday, Kathy!) and I just cut out a recipe for Roasted Butternut Squash with Saged Crème. I already have a recipe for roasted butternut squash that uses tart apples. Both are thick, hearty, winter, warm-me-up-from-the-inside soups.

Winter’s coming. Gotta winterize the cave and pack in the roots and tubers. Mastodons will have to be stalked and processed before the snow flies.

Lots to do. Gotta go! ☺☺☺

No comments: