Saturday, December 20, 2008

Storm Austin

Naming storms
Here in Connecticut, one of our TV stations, WFSB Channel 3, names winter storms. This practice started in 1971 when Meteorologist Ken Gary named the Thanksgiving Day storm, Arthur. The TV station at time had the call letters of WTIC. The station has been naming winter storms every since. In order to get a name, the storm has to have the potential for 6” or more of snow or (I think) ¼” of ice.


I measured the snow depth in three places in the driveway and got a solid 8” in all three. I shoveled off the deck in back and reved up the snow blower, Big Red, to take care of the driveway and walk way. I did a wide path to the back yard and to the bird feeder. The reason for the wide path is in case of emergency my mother and I need to exit the house through the back door. The path to the bird feeder gives the birds a place to feed and makes it easier for me to refill the feeder.

Parlez-vous français?
Anyone out there speak French? How would I say "bird feeder" in French and make it sound like a restaurant? Would I use the word Maison or Chez? I’m writing a poem and the last line is at the bird feeder and I want it to sound like it’s a restaurant. If all else fails I will consult a teacher of French at the local high school.

Event canceled
I was supposed to go to a poetry reading tonight in Middletown at The Buttonwood Tree, but I had message on my voice mail telling me it has been cancelled because of a parking ban and more lousy weather on the way. I really want to go and support the featured reader, Greg Scott. His poetry takes us places we didn’t know existed. Late tonight we are expecting Storm Bonnie, but I’m not sure when the precip will begin. Then you have wet roads that freeze over. I don’t know…I’m sorry we won’t get to hear Greg, but I'm glad I won’t have to go out and stress over possible driving conditions.

No comments: