Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Moon, Jupiter, Venus Conjunction




Photo: Moon and Jupiter. You will have to click on the photo in order to see Jupiter. Venus is there, but not seen by the camera.

The twilight hours of Sunday and Monday (yesterday) offered a spectacular conjunction of the Moon, Jupiter and Venus. Sunday night the moon formed a “cup” below the planets, but, because of the nasty weather was not visible from my Connecticut skies. Last night was a little better.


As the sun went down, I positioned myself in the parking lot of the Shoppes at Buckland Hills in Manchester. From there I had an uninterrupted view of the southwestern sky. There were also increasing dense clouds coming in from the southwest.

I was able to get the above picture…the best of many I took. You can see the Moon and Jupiter. However, Venus was visible with the naked eye, but too small to show up on the photo. The Moon had moved to a position above the planets.

I hope you got out to see this conjunction. I have heard that it will be anywhere from 44 to 54 years before this happens again.

No comments: