Monday, June 29, 2009

Riverwood Poetry Festival – Day 5 – YEEEEE HAW

Sunday, June 28, 2009
The Harriet Beecher Stowe Center provided the perfect backdrop for our Main Event. Prominent poets Ernie Blue, Bessy Reyna, Kate Rushin, Sue Ellen Thompson and Ameen Storm kept the audience at times mesmerized, and other times laughing or audibly agreeing with a poetic statement.

I’m pleased to report that the room was filled and extra chairs had to be set up in the outer room to accommodate the overflow.

Book and T-shirt sales were brisk.

The Last Hurrah, the end-of-festival party was held at City Steam Brewery in Hartford. They provided the Richardson Room free of cost and we ate, drank, listened to music and spouted poetry well into the evening.

But all good things must come to an end. The festival is over for this year and we are already planning for 2010. Each year it gets better and bigger. Next year should be spectacular.

I have to share this with you. My mother often asks me where do I get these ideas for poems. I never really had a good answer…that is until yesterday. While reading The Hartford Courant Sunday morning, I came upon this gem: “The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!”

I encourage the reader to visit www.riverwoodpoetry.org to view the list of prominent poets who have made this festival the great success it is. Also, if you are a poet and want to be involved in next year’s festival, go to our website and contact us from there. That goes for volunteers, too.

No comments: