Friday, November 27, 2009

Come Ride With Me, Vol. IV

The book I produce every year for my kids and grandkids will be a little sparse this year. Usually I include my poetry and stories from my childhood and, sometimes, family stories from more recent years. This year all they are getting is poetry. Instead of a 1” three-ring binder, it’s a ½” binder.

It has been a year of great stress worrying about my mother and running over to the nursing home almost every day to see her. Once I decided to put the house on the market that added a level of activity I’d just as soon forget.

I don’t consider tag sales fun, nor do I think all the work of getting the house presentable for sale as fun. My kids worked hard to help me with both “non-fun” events and I can’t thank them enough. However, it took up most of my time. No time for writing.

The poetry will feel lost in the smaller binder, but they don’t make ¼” binders. I don’t think my kids read the first three volumes, so perhaps they will consider the smaller volume as that much less to not read! As a matter of fact, the only person I know of who has read the previous three volumes is my daughter-in-law’s mother. She reads them while she waits for Jonathan to get on the school bus.

I recently came across this bit of wisdom, which seems appropriate here: “If you are looking for approval, you will never find enough to satisfy you.” I should tape that all over my house to remind myself to stop looking. ☺☺

No comments: