Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Lovely Morning for a Walk

I took advantage of this morning’s beautiful weather to go for a walk around the block. Where I live, that means 3 miles.

The sun was shining, the air filled with the scent of spring flowers and flowering trees. The shadblow is blooming, so I guess the shad are running.

I stopped to talk with a young man getting ready to go fishing for stripers. I didn’t know they were in the CT River. A little further down the road I chatted with an elderly lady sitting out in front of her riverside home warming herself in the sun. She was so delightful. At the 2 mile mark I was at the boat launch and stopped for a while to enjoy the river (and rest ☺).

None of the geese or ducks showed up, but the trees were filled with birds singing their hearts out. I saw an eagle across the river, high above the trees. The man I talked to earlier told me kids are going down the bike path to the barricade and putting their bikes up and over which amounts to harassing the breeding pair of eagles nesting between Stony Brook and the railroad trestle. He called the cops and the DEP. I hope these kids got caught. I’d love to ride the canal pathway, too, but KEEP OUT means just that. Once the eaglets are fledged, the path will reopen.

From the boat launch the next .25 mi is a steep hill (huff, puff, groan), but the reward is that the last .25 is flat and heading home.

After a shower and some lunch, my quads are barking (especially the right side). By tomorrow everything will feel fine, but, no bike ride this afternoon. That’s pushing it a little! ☺

No comments: