Tuesday, October 30, 2012

The Day After Sandy


I was lucky…no loss of power or cable so my coffee pot, phone, TV, and internet all worked when I got up.

The day dawned with wind and rain on their way out of our meteorological nightmare. As the morning wore on the clouds occasionally parted to allow full sun to come through. At other times the clouds took over.

Thick clouds, in layers, continue to stream northwest at mid afternoon. At times there is complete overcast and at other times, there are varying amounts of blue sky…at times not even enough to make a pair of Dutchman’s britches.

Outside of my locale it’s been all over the news: Connecticut shoreline is torn up again; the mid-Atlantic states had lots of rain and wind; heavy, wet snow is falling in the Appalachians of Virginia, Maryland and West Virginia; New Jersey shoreline was ground zero; lower Manhattan (New York City) is flooded. With all the tunnels and subway tubes flooded I have a question that has nothing to do with transportation: What happened to all the rats and occupants of the homeless communities that live down there? Just asking!

After lunch I took a ride down to the boat launch to check on the river. It’s still there and it’s still low. In the parking lot, my car was immediately surrounded by the flock of geese that lives down there. They were definitely looking for food. Then I saw the sign that said not to feed the wild water fowl. These guys are wild, but they weren’t always wild. I think they were domestic at one time and founded an independent community.

From the boat launch I headed to “the place” where I can look across the river at the eagles’ nest. I was told, recently, they built a second nest just a bit north of the one they have used for at least two years…and there it was. I have to get on the bike path one more time before it’s closed for the eagle nesting season. I want pictures from the canal path to go with the ones I took today.

Do these geese look domestic or wild? They came running to my car looking for food.
The dot in the trees is the old nest.
This is the new nest. Frankly, I like this one better. Let's see which one the eagles like!