Saturday, May 24, 2014

A Ride Just Taken & A Ride Being Planned


I hadn’t been on my bike since earlier this month and this is only the third time I’ve ridden this season.

Today’s ride totaled 12.5 miles over mostly flat, paved back roads. By the time I got home, I was really beat. My first ride this season was 11+ miles and I don’t recall being this tired.

Now that I’m home, would I consider getting on my bike and doing the 12.5 miles again? Not likely, because there is no incentive. No reason. I’ll go for a nice hot shower, then a nap, my afternoon cup of coffee, watch some Red Sox afternoon baseball, take a nap, and see where I go from there.

Now, I bring all the up because in two to three weeks I’m planning a ride along the Nashua River from Ayers, MA to Nashua, NH. Total of 22 miles round trip. The first part of the ride is 11 miles. I just rode 12 and I’m pooped. When I’m sitting by the pond at the end of the 11-mile bike trail, will my PB&J sandwich give me the stamina to do the 11 miles back? What’s the incentive? My car is 11 miles back that-a-way! Maybe I'd better throw a couple of bananas in my pack just for good measure.

It changes from “I don’t need to”, to “I have no choice.” I do this to myself all the time. There is no such thing as “a point of no return” under these circumstances. There is no one to bail me out, come to my rescue, bring the car around.

One example of how I do this to myself is walking Coast Guard Beach on Cape Cod. A couple of times I paid no attention to the wind direction and speed. After walking a mile or so south to Nauset Inlet, I turned around to head back only to realize I was now walking into cold head winds coming right out of the north at 15 to 20 mph with gusts to who knows how strong. I had to rest frequently, and at times crawl in order to make headway. Scared out of my mind! But, I had to keep going. Always hoping someone up at the training facility would spot me through their binoculars and send a rescue team. Never happened. Or, if they did see me they just monitored my progress planning to make the rescue if it looked like they might have a dead one on their hands.

So, this is what I plan to do…and you know what well-known road is paved with good intentions…

I plan to do my leg exercises faithfully, every day, before I make my bed in the morning. 

I plan to do squats at that same time. 

I plan to be more faithful to lifting weights. And, most of all, 

I plan on getting out there on my bike more often. No more wimping out because it’s too hot, too cold, too windy, or I’m too busy, too tired. No more. That has to stop. Because I am going to ride the Nashua River Bike Path in 2 to 3 weeks…ready or not.

I probably should mention I turn 78 tomorrow. Apparently wisdom doesn't come with age (for some people).