Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Slipcovering An Old Hassock – Part 4


Welcome back. It’s been a while. I procrastinated long enough. Procrastination took the form of knitting hats and scarfs…until I just couldn’t face one more knit/purl/yo.

Now is the time for me to start making my paper patterns. I never thought I would be ironing paper, but that is exactly what I had to do. The paper had been folded for so long and moved so many times it wasn’t in the best condition.



I have taken my measurements; now to put those on paper, remembering to add for seams and “ease”. Here goes!

My first task is to mark my paper with the measurements plus the seams plus “ease”. Thank goodness my son, Andy, reminded me to measure three times and cut once. I measured more than three times, because it took me a while to realize I had to measure from the center out to the sides, because the top of the hassock has a half inch difference from one end to the other. I had to split fractions in half. WHAT?! Between high school and college, I must have taken Math 101 six times. I turned to the internet to guide me through working with decimals and fractions and dividing them by two! AND I DID IT! After I cut the paper pattern I put it on top of the hassock and by gosh it looks like I did it right. I offer this picture. It doesn’t look like much to you, but to me, it represents hard work, a tired brain and an aching back!




I still need to cut out the patterns for the sides and the skirt, but that will be tomorrow. Right now I’m exhausted.