Thursday, January 26, 2017

Slipcovering An Old Hassock – Part 5

There will be a brief delay while I learn how to operate my new, magnificent machine!



 The paper patterns are all done and ready to be pinned onto the fabric. I decided to make sure all was well with my sewing machine and it’s a good thing I did.

When I made the cushion covers for my car, I noted that the thread would bunch up under the fabric, but I ignored it. Now, I find the bobbin will not wind. This is critical. A few years ago I had my machine refurbished, but apparently it has deteriorated again.

I bought this sewing machine in 1978, while I worked at J. C. Penney, in an attempt to establish a credit history. I still had to fight for a charge card in my name (but that is another story for another time).


 I went online to see what was available and at what prices. Then I went to Jo-Ann’s and Michaels. Michaels did not have any machines on display. After talking to a sales associate at Jo-Ann’s I came home to think about it. This morning I went to Jo-Ann’s expecting to order what I wanted, but the Singer “Talent” was in stock. Took it home, along with a hard case.

While I was going over the owner’s manual, I received a call from one of my Angels and she said, “Did you get my email”? No. I hadn’t been online. “Well, I bought you a gift certificate at Jo-Ann’s. I thought you were going to order it”. I explained about it being in stock.

Long story short, the email came through with my gift certificate information. I brought the sewing machine back to Jo-Ann’s for a credit, then bought it again using the gift certificate. By the way, Jo-Ann’s people could not have been more accommodating!

There are no words to express how grateful I am. W.O.W.

Give me some time to figure out how to properly operate the “Talent”,  and there will be more progress.