Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Electronics and Me


In 1983, I had my first experience with a computer…a friend’s TRS-80. If I remember correctly, the word processing was semi-colon delimited. I was terrified by this “electronic monster”… so sure the “delete” key would blow up the world. :) From the time I entered high school, at age 13, I had used typewriters.

Since those days, I have had several computers beginning with a Victor 9000, leading to two or three (I’ve lost count) desktop Apple Macintosh computers and currently, my MacBook. I am a Mac devotee. I’ve used PCs where I’ve worked with no problem. Mercy me! I even used a Wang at one temporary job! I quickly realized that all computers do the same thing…software does the same thing…just differently from computer to computer. I never looked back.

At one time I was proficient with Page Maker desktop publishing software. I even had my own part-time, home-based desktop publishing business. The Mac made that possible and Page Maker was a sweetheart of a program. I retired Gemini Word Pro about the time Page Maker ceased to exist.

Since then, most technology has passed me by…or has it. I look around and realize I have so many cords for recharging electronics that I had to label zip lock plastic bags to put those cords in, otherwise I wouldn’t know what went to what…digital camera, cell phone, MacBook and now my iPad. I also have a whole new bunch of “log-ins” that I have to remember…not. I wrote them down.

One app I downloaded to my computer and my iPad is CLOAK. This app gives me the ability to surf in an unsecured wi-fi spot. On my computer, it’s automatic and on my iPad, all I have to do is turn on VPN in Settings. It gives me 2 hours a month of free, secure surfing. I rarely use unsecured networks except when I’m on vacation, and I certainly don’t spend 2 hours in a weeks time on the internet.

I have managed without Page Maker, but I miss it. I still use Excel and, of course, I could not do without email and browsers for the internet. As much as I dislike Facebook, I guess I’m stuck with it if I want my photo albums to be accessible from this on-line journal. Ah! Nothing’s easy.

I certainly do remember the simplicity of life before all this electronic stuff, but I like knowing I can call someone if I get into trouble when I’m out bike riding, or have a thought I want to share with a friend by email…right now…before I forget it.

It’s exciting to think about what’s next, but I wonder...will I let it pass me by.

No comments: