Monday, March 18, 2013

Farm Stands, Goldfinches, and Thoughts of Spring


Farm Stands
Recently, my errands took me past two of my favorite farm stands.

One is right around the corner from me…a walk of about a mile and a quarter if I choose to do that. However, since I will be carrying produce back home, it is easier if I ride my bike. This farmer’s asparagus is the best for my needs. He sells it for $2/pound, but it is all random sizes. The good part is I get to pick the sizes I want so I get the best of what is there. I go for all the skinny, tender stalks.

The tomatoes are just okay. I have to be desperate to buy them. And his corn is best left right there on the wagon. The corn has been left in the field too long or it is of a not-so-tender variety. It is what we called “horse corn” when I was a kid. Butter and Sugar corn is what makes my taste buds happy.

What I have figured out is he must take the best of the best to the farmers’ market in Hartford, or he has special customers such as grocery stores. What is left over he puts out on the stand. Now that I know (or suspect) this, it’s okay.

Another farm stand is two towns over…closer to where I used to live before I moved into the condo. Even though the prices at this stand are a little high, the produce is excellent. Corn, tomatoes, cukes, squashes…all perfect.

The stand across town, about 6 or so miles, is the best of the three. Their produce is excellent. They also sell apples and a variety of berries in season. Momma makes fresh breads to sell at the stand, too. It smells so good whenever I go there. But the best part is that it gives me a destination for a bike ride. I get the exercise and by leaving the car at home and I cut down on pollution. Everybody wins.

I just wish they would stay open past Labor Day.

Goldfinches
 I have been feeding the birds this winter much to my delight (and theirs, too, I’m sure). Now that spring is almost upon us, calendar-wise) I see the male goldfinches are starting to get their brilliant yellow back. In the winter months the males look much like the females and immatures as far as color goes. Now I can tell the difference.

I have put out a lot of thistle for these little guys. I know it is a high energy food for them, but it makes such a mess. The snow on the ground below the thistle feeder was black all winter with the thistle shells (and some seeds, too, I’m sure). I don’t know for sure how many pounds of thistle I went through, but I’m going to guess it was somewhere around 10 pounds, and I don’t think I’m finished yet. Maybe another pound or so?

Of course I had other seeds, too, for the goldfinches and other birds. I bought seed mixes (shell-less whenever I could) and even though the birds came in droves (or should that be flocks), I think next year I will stick to shell-less sunflower seed hearts. That’s what I always fed the birds before I moved. Maybe a mix thrown in…I’m not sure yet about the mix.

AND, not to forget the suet cakes! I have gone through 6 suet cakes, and that is because of the wide variety of woodpeckers I have attracted…everything from a flicker to the smallest of woodpeckers. I’ll probably buy one more to finish the feeding season.

I live close to the woods down behind the condos where all these birds must be coming from. Where I lived before, woods surrounded the house, and I had nowhere near the numbers that I have here…especially woodpeckers.

Thoughts of Spring
So, all in all, I am really feeling spring is about to pop. Just as soon as we get through tonight’s/tomorrow morning’s storm. Predicting 2-5 inches of slushy stuff plus some icing. 

I’ve had enough!