Sunday, March 24, 2013

The Vacuum Cleaner Saga


My life is one laughable saga after another.

I had an Oreck upright vacuum cleaner for 20 years or more as well as a hand-held Oreck. It’s about time for new technology. My plan was to get rid of the upright and save the hand-held for doing the car. So far so good.

I Googled Oreck to see if they had a store nearby. Sure did. Considering where it is I should have known that…right between two stores I have visited recently.

I wanted a canister vac because I wanted the hoses as well as the floor attachment…one machine to all the work. Oreck has two canister models, but only one in the showroom.

I tried the showroom model and decided it would be more than adequate for my needs. My upstairs is all wall-to-wall Berber carpet and the upstairs bath is vinyl with scatter rugs.

The downstairs is a combo of area rugs and Pergo flooring including the kitchen and half bath. The family room downstairs has carpet tiles and vinyl.

The salesman told me he thought the larger of the two vacuums (which I was buying) might be too much machine for me. It was heavier than what I had been using and the motorized cleaning head was very powerful. Did I listen? No. I even traded in my upright.

So I took it home, put it together and started cleaning. The motorized beater bar (for lack of a better name) had a mind of its own and was indeed very powerful. But I know I’m stronger! Cleaned all three floors. It was like hauling a Mack truck around my condo.

Next morning, man oh man was I hurting!

Packed the thing up and took it back to the store acknowledging the salesman’s wisdom.

(Note: when I unplugged the vac from the upstairs bath receptacle, the plug was hot. Hmmm. The next morning the GFI had been tripped and I could not reset it. Checked the downstairs bath GFI, and after I tripped it on purpose, it would not reset. Cost me $25 for two new GFIs. Thank goodness my son, Paul, knows how to replace these things.)

Now I have no vacuum cleaner at all…but my house is clean so I have some wiggle room. The Oreck store is waiting for their smaller model to come in. I know that Target has that smaller Oreck model on sale.

I go to Target and never see the smaller Oreck. What to my wondering eyes should appear but a Dyson DC26. It’s a little thing. Canister. Bagless. Hoses. Floor beater bar. I originally wanted a Dyson, but didn’t want to pay upwards to six hundred dollars. This little guy was on sale and less than three hundred. SOLD!

I brought it home, put it together and cleaned my condo. Like it needed it again. I cleaned the entire upstairs before I realized the wand is extendable. I thought this model was for people 4’8” in height. What a relief to know I didn’t have to be bent over in order to clean.

Love this little machine! I have read many reviews on the Dyson vacuum cleaners and all of them said it didn’t have sufficient suction. I don’t know what they were talking about. My little Dyson DC26 has more than enough.

End of the Vacuum Cleaner Saga (I hope).