Friday, May 16, 2008

Bike Fit - II

Photo
I call this photo Yellow Bike. It's not my bike but I do love the original way to retire an old bike. I'm at least making an effort to match photo to subject. I posted the same photo before. I like it.

Problems with specs
I told you about my “bike fit” back on May 5th. What I didn’t tell you was I had to take my bike to my bike shop in order to get the changes made with new parts installed at proper heights and angles.

Apparently I am the first person to bring in exact specifications along with drawings to this particular shop, and it took the owner by surprise. So much so, that I detected a bit of chauvinism in his attitude. He assured me that the manufacturer of my bike has a chart to fit the bike to the rider. He really didn’t get it that the chart was a standard approximation and had not much to do with how I sit on a bike and ride. He did not want to accept that a woman of all people had scientifically fit my bike to me. I left the bike there anyway.

To make a long story short, I heard from the head mechanic today and he said the wrong parts came in. He also said that he took more time to study the specs and he says he can give me the spec’s requirements for less money than the indicated parts on the specs.

Save money? OK. I’m up for that as long as the specifications for height and angle are met. He assures me they will be.

I will pick my bike up tomorrow in order to be able to ride while I’m waiting for the right parts to arrive. Hopefully the parts will be in by next Wednesday. In the meantime, I’ll be able to ride.

I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt. Stay tuned.

No comments: