Friday, May 2, 2008

Wood Memorial Library Featured Poets

















Photos: Dolores Lawler is on the left and that's me on the right.

Last night (May 1st) Dolores Lawler and I were the featured poets at the well attended Wood Memorial Library’s Spoken Word Series.

I had never featured before so it was a quite a rush. Dolores has been writing and reading poetry longer than I have and she does a lot with form and style. Her poetry is a mix of free verse, and structured form, such as Sonnets, Pantoums, and Sestinas.

I chose the theme of a blushing bride and read selections according to Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed and Something Blue, followed by a bunch of other stuff. As you can see, I know nothing about form or style. I would say my poetry is free form.

A short break followed our readings giving way to open mic and ending with a sumptuous repast of fruit, cheese and crackers and some yummy sweet pastries. Did I mention the wine?

This was the last in the series for this season. We will resume on the first Thursday in September.

A big Thank You needs to go out to John Wadhams and the Wood Memorial Library for sponsoring the Spoken Word Series. A Thank You also need to go to Colin Haskins for starting the whole thing and Stephanie Elliott for doing all the work Colin takes credit for! ☺☺☺

BUT a Spoken Word Series would be nothing but empty space and silence if it weren’t for the poets. Thanks to all of them for keeping this series and all other poetry reading events alive and well.

No comments: