Monday, May 5, 2008

Bike Fit


Photo: The "frog bridge" in Willimantic over the Willimantic River.

I went all the way out to Thomaston (38 miles) to have my bike adjusted to fit my body and riding style. Robin adjusted my saddle height downward (to my surprise), reset my handlebars down and away from me (more surprise) and I immediately felt the comfortable difference. One of the reasons my hands keep getting numb is the way I was holding the handlebars – wrists down. Now my arms and wrists are straight. Relieves a lot of strain! I was really amazed at the adjustments she made.

All this is being done in the name of a better, more relaxed ride in September.

When I left her place I took a wrong turn and instead of picking up Route 6 East, I wound up on Route 262 South and picked up I-84 just west of Waterbury. I wasn’t lost. I knew I was still in Connecticut—I just didn’t know exactly where. Once I hit I-84 I was fine. Call it one more adventure.

Robin is not just proficient at what she does, she’s an interesting person to be around. She has done some pretty long bike tours and is passionate about bike riding. She lives on the top of a long steep hill and she rides her bike up that thing loaded with groceries! All I can do is shake my head in wonder. I would never be able to do it. The hills coming up to my house pale by comparison and I won’t ride them, either! ☺

No comments: