Monday, January 5, 2009

Things Happen in 3s

It seems the new year doesn’t want to start on a happy note.

The loss of a gracious lady
Years ago I went to work for a construction company in Hartford. It was my first full time job since my divorce four years previous. Leo hired me and his wife, Geri, would come into the office to help with the bookkeeping. The company was successful and soon became a partnership and the offices moved from Hartford to Windsor. At that point Geri no longer came into the office to work. Leo wanted her to be free to do whatever she wanted to do.

Yesterday I went to her wake. Geri was such a gracious lady. She was devoted to the love of her life, Leo and her two children.

In the 20 plus years since I had last seen Geri and Leo and their children, I often wondered how they were doing, but, I lost track of them…until yesterday. It wasn’t the way I had envisioned getting together and playing catch-up. Geri will be greatly missed.

Who will be Hartford’s cheerleader now?
Then, on a less personal note, the City of Hartford lost its greatest cheerleader, former Mayor Mike Peters. A former firefighter he loved his city so much. Before running for mayor, Mike organized the Hooker Day Parade. He also coined the phrase, “Hartford was founded by a Hooker”. After Thomas Hooker lost favor in the Bay Colony he relocated to Connecticut in 1636, where he was instrumental in the development of Hartford.

A little over a year ago we all learned that Mike was gravely ill and needed a liver transplant, which he did receive. However, it didn’t help. Mayor Mike died yesterday at age 60.

Today’s obituaries
Today I saw where the brother of a close friend and high school classmate has passed. That’s three. Let this be the last.

No comments: