Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Playing Catch-up

Tilex does the trick!
I have given the tub and surround a couple of applications of Tilex. The results are amazing. The first time I applied it and waited 5 minutes before spraying it off, I could see the bottom of the tub was a black stream heading for the drain. That mold could not be seen on the surround, but after the Tilex loosened it, it became a disgusting stream of black.

BUT, after that there is barely any smell. Yes, I did it a second time and I think I will do a third, now that I know it won’t hurt the grout or the vinyl flooring. I think it’s on the painted walls, too, but have been advised not to use it on the paint…it will remove the paint.

When I re-paint the entire condo in the spring I will use Kilz on the walls as a primer…then paint.

If the former owners had just used their heads. The tub area is small, windowless and has no ventilation other than the ceiling fan. I’m not sure they ran the fan very long if at all.

New Carpet
The small bedroom now has new carpeting. Thank goodness! The old carpet was probably original (25 years) and black all along the baseboard, including in the closet and where the folding closet doors closed. This I’m told is from the ceiling air vent. I will need to take them down in the upstairs areas to clean them. That’s going to be a ‘gag reflex’ job! ☺

It’s all mine
I don’t know if I mentioned this before, but this is the first time in my life where my home is mine and mine alone. It’s not my parent’s, or my in-laws. Not my landlord’s. It’s mine. That’s why I want everything exactly the way I want it…not someone else’s choices or restrictions.

Speaking of restrictions…
I applied for the building permit to finish the basement. That was an education and I am now considered a contractor. Now, the building department wants a letter from the condo association that I have their permission to improve my basement. The condo association told me I didn’t need their permission as long as I wasn’t taking down any walls or making any structural changes. I’m waiting for the letter from the management company that says I have permission and I’ll hand deliver it to the building department.

I didn’t balk when they said I needed a smoke detector in each bedroom. I was not bothered when they said I needed a CO detector in the upstairs hall. I was fine with having all three smoke detectors hard wired together. In this town, when doing a renovation the entire unit has to be brought up to code. All that is for my safety and I’m OK with all of it. But this permission thing is annoying!

Physical Therapy
I have been discharged from PT. So far I am still pain free and able to do activities requiring me to put my arms in the air over my head...water aerobics and swimming. It feels good to feel good!

No comments: