Thursday, August 2, 2012

Riding on Quiet Tires


When I bought my SUV I had no idea it had not been checked out for things that needed fixing. When I drove it home I couldn’t help notice the tires were noisy. I assumed it was the brand of tire, and since it was just slightly noisier than my Saturn wagon (that I had traded in), I didn’t give it a second thought. I should have become suspicious when after 6 weeks the service light went on and I needed an oil change. I brought it to a different dealer who did the oil change and rotated the tires at no charge. That was great! I still didn’t get it.

I am now on my third dealer and finally was told that the reason the tires were so noisy was because the front end was out of alignment and the tires were cupping.

So I went to Town Fair Tire and got new tires. Now I can hear the radio and have conversations with passengers above the noise of the tires. What noise! There is no noise.

Oh, and the best part is, they asked me for the “wheel lock key.” The what? I never got one when I bought the car.

Even though it was a 1 yr old used car (a returned lease) I should have driven off with a car whose front end had been aligned, the oil changed and with a wheel lock key!

What would have happened if I had a flat tire on the road? The tire could not be removed. How happy would I have been?

The only thing that provides balance to this sad tale is that the original dealer was the only one around who had the car I wanted at a price I could afford. AND I found out about the car through a set of circumstances that tells me I was supposed to have that car. It was one of the hottest items in car dealership. There were very few used models and these were gobbled up as fast as they came in. Mine had been there for 2 weeks before I heard about it and snapped it up. Maybe others had looked at it and recognized what was wrong.

I’m happy to have a car I love. I just wish I didn’t have to wait three and a half years to finally ride on quite tires.

All’s well that rolls well (and quietly). (sigh)