Saturday, August 11, 2012

Summer’s Heat

 It’s almost mid-August and it’s hot. It’s supposed to be hot…right? This past July was the hottest July on record for the U.S.A. It was hot last summer, too, but not like this year.

What’s going on?
I think most of us will agree that the climate is changing. Whether it is a normal cycling of the planet or it’s a man-made condition is a debate I won’t get into at this time. What is important is that it is getting warmer.

What are the results of this warming
For one thing, we are seeing a repeat of what started the dust bowl back in the 1930s. No rain means no crops. If the grain harvest is not adequate, then prices of just about everything will go up. Bread, cereals, meat…everything! Okay. That’s one front.

What about the weather? Climate warming is causing glaciers and ice caps to melt. That is putting millions (billions?) of gallons of fresh water into the oceans.

Lets look at the Atlantic Ocean. With all that fresh water coming into the north Atlantic the salinity of the water is changing, and it is salinity that drives the Atlantic Conveyer.

Think of a never-ending loop of a conveyer belt. The cold, highly saline, heavier water of the north Atlantic sinks and flows to the warmer south Atlantic waters. From there, warmer, less saline water now rises and flows north, conspicuous as the Gulf Stream. Then the cycle is repeated. This is what gives the east coast of the U.S. and northern Europe their weather. Change this cycle and the weather changes.

Results of this change
If the cycle of the Atlantic conveyer is interrupted by too much fresh water diluting the salinity of the water, the conveyer will shut down—the waters will not circulate. And, believe it or not, this will bring on an ICE AGE.

When?
I have no idea when all this will come to pass (but remember, it comes to pass it doesn’t come to stay!) Will it happen in my lifetime? Probably not. I’m already 76 yrs. old and this journey toward the Ice may take a hundred years or more.

I don’t know about you…
I start getting antsy about this time of summer. I am a Gemini and I need lots of open space around me. I am, after all, an air sign. I want my curtains wide open and the windows the same. I want fresh air wafting through my home day and night. By now I’m super tired of having to keep the windows and drapes closed to keep out the intense heat, and especially the humidity.

While I bless the central air in my condo (never had c/a before and I do love it) I watch the weather forecasts like a hawk to see when the H & H will diminish and I’ll be able to shut the c/a off and open everything to the fresh air.

(To give you some idea of how much I love fresh air…my bedroom door is weather stripped against the cold winter air because I sleep with my window open all winter.)

What can we do?
If you believe the change in our climate is a result of planetary cycling, then there isn’t much you can do. Do the best you can to survive the increasing heat with the least cost? That might mean using solar, water and wind power instead of fossil fuels. You might want to use a geothermal system to heat and cool your home.

If you believe the problem is man-made, then do everything you can to reduce carbon footprints. Reduce, reuse, recycle. And, oh yes, stop burning fossil fuels.

Another thing I can do is ride my bike the 3.5 miles to the store if what I need is small enough to fit in my panniers. I had an extra pannier rack installed on my front wheel just for this purpose. If I must use the car, I make sure I have several places to go and I map out the most efficient route to accomplish all my errands. If I can get things done without using my car, so much the better. I get the exercise. I don’t pollute the air so that’s good for all of us. And, lastly, I hope when you see me riding my bike, you start talking and thinking (in a positive way) about how you can also keep the air clean. Clean air also means clean water. It’s all connected.

That was a long way around just to tell you I can’t stand heat and humidity! But, then, I am a Gemini, and I do love words. :)

No comments: