Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Gramma the Ditch Digger – Part II


I’m MAD (that is most likely certifiable). I’m ANGRY (at the contractor who built this place). I’m DISAPPOINTED (in myself).

As you read in Part I (although “Part I” was never part of the title) I was digging a ditch in order to stick in some 10” flashing to a depth of 8” in order to stop the roots from my neighbor’s garden from invading my garden space.

At a depth of 6” there is nothing but rocks, chunks of concrete and other solid construction rubble. It became so difficult to continue digging I threw in the towel…or dirt in this case. I filled in my magnificent ditch.

I proceeded to turn over the rest of the soil and weed out all the over-grown grasses…including some remaining mint and lily of the valley.

I’m not done. I am now thinking I will take patio stones (12x12) and stand them upright along the root line…sunk to a depth of 6”. The soil has all been dug and will be easy to re-trench just enough to sink the flat stones. I’m going to stop those roots!

So now I have to buy more edging bricks to match the other side, and patio flats. The area needs to be leveled and the shepherds crooks put back along with the hanging plants. I’m thinking I will also put down some of that “weed killer” stuff that stops weeds from re-growing. I used it in the front last year and it started working this year. Better late than never.

Now, what do I want to plant? For one thing I will start with butterfly weed. Beyond that I don’t have many ideas. I already have two rose bushes and I might try to start a couple more by taking canes from these, putting them into a potato and planting the whole thing. It’s supposed to make new plants.

My career as a ditch digger is over.

So this is my work space...all my tools.
The results so far. Lots more to do.
I need to wait a few days until my credit card billing cycle recycles. I need more stuff and I need to charge it but I have reached my self-imposed limit for this month.