Monday, June 23, 2014

Gramma the Ditch Digger – Part III


Yup. I dug the same damned ditch…again…so I could plant patio stones. Now, some people have a rock garden. Not me. I plant stones.

I decided to put the patio stones on end in an attempt to block the roots from the adjoining garden from invading my garden. One look at the garden next door and you can understand why. In Gramma the Ditch Digger – Part I (which did not have Part I in the title) I thought I would use 10” flashing. Then, at a depth of 6-8” or so I ran into lots of buried stone rubble. I filled in the ditch and I thought that was the end. NOT SO!

I’m full of brilliant ideas. This one was to re-dig the ditch (it would be easier the second time around) and stand patio stones on end. I can’t tell you how grateful I am to my sons, Paul and Andy, for coming over with wheelbarrows to transport the stones from my car, in front of my condo, to the back garden. I had 9 patio stones and 19 rumble stones (for edging). I could have carried them myself, but it would have taken a long time, about a dozen trips and I’m not up to that.

I also bought decorative metal fence-like sections to further indicate where one garden ended and the other one began.

Planting Stones

Almost Done

Add the fence. Click on the photo...the fence is quite lovely
Once all the stones were planted I decided to try a little experiment. I had read a post on Facebook (one of those local garden places) that you could grow a whole new rose bush by taking a healthy cane, put it into a potato and plant the whole shebang and you would have a new rose bush. What did I have to lose except two potatoes. So I did it. As I was panting the first rose stuck into a potato I realized the potato had eyes. Will I grow two new rose bushes or will I be digging potatoes in the fall?

These are roses now. Will there be potatoes in the fall?

Hahahahahaha! I can’t stop laughing at myself!