Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Every Grave a Sacred Place



















Photos:
The headstone and foot marker of my grandson's grave.

When I started writing this last night I wasn't thinking that today was going to be Philip's birthday. Happy 21st to the big blue teddy bear.

So often, on the news, I hear of vandals romping through a cemetery destroying headstones, urns and other adornments that mean so much to the families of the deceased. When I hear stories like that my heart goes out to the families and I wonder what kind of person would do this.


Unfortunately the desecration of gravesites has hit closer to home. Who could possibly want to uproot flowerpots, flags, an in-ground marker and the trinkets of remembrance left there? This is personal. This is my grandson’s resting place.

Did Lance Cpl. Philip Johnson give his life for his country so you, thoughtless and demented, are free to desecrate his grave? Does it offend you that he was a proud Marine? Does it offend or frighten you that he was willing to give his life for our freedom when you are obviously a coward? Why do I call you a coward? Apparently you operate under the cover of darkness so no one will know who has come skulking into the cemetery intent on doing harm. Has it ever occurred to you that because of Philip and other men and women like him, English is not a second language in the United States of America?

You have taken away more than trinkets from the gravesite. You have done more than toss markers and flags and flowerpots. The necklace you stole that had half of a heart on it—Philip’s mother wears the other half. How does it feel to have ripped out half of a mother’s heart? You have spat in the face of a family’s grief, which is still very raw.

Come out of the woodwork you coward and show your face. Tell me why you have done this to Philip’s grave and to his family. I do not understand.

What do I do now?
The above ranting deserves to be a Letter to the Editor. As much as I would love to do that, I fear it would just fan the flames and worse things would happen at the cemetery, or worse, to Philip’s family. Everyone in town knows them because they are active in so many projects that benefit the town and those living there. I would not want to do anything to bring physical harm to them or their property.

So I’m left with this. I have vented my frustration. Do I feel any better? No.

2 comments:

gw3 said...

Ms. Titus,
I am very sorry for the loss of Philip. After reading your Blog, I found his story and how those who knew him looked up to him and admired him. He must have been a wonderful young man.
As painful as it must be to lose a grandson or a son to war, I can understand how you must feel today with the loss of the sanctity of the gravesite. I am sorry for that loss as well.
I don't know what you can do or if writing a letter to the paper would help but it might bring an awareness to your town that might bring shame to the vandals. Someone knows someone who knows who did it. And maybe the vandal or vandals even has some guilt, if there were more than one, it is probably true.
Thanks for your Blog. Happy Birthday Philip. Thank you for your sacrifice.
gw

Sean said...

I have lived next to Camp Lejeune, NC ever since I was a little boy. I come from a military family, and I honor and respect my country and the brave men and women who choose to serve it. I never knew Philip Johnson, but he is and will always be a hero to me. My heart goes out to you for your loss.