Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Electrifying News and Bike Ride













Photos
Clouds observed from Coast Guard Beach on Cape Cod. Sure a lot friendlier than what I saw today!

Poem to be published
I received some exciting news today. The Equinox, published by Ginger Cat Press in Shelburne Falls, MA informed me my poem, “Who Walks the Tower” has been accepted for publication in their Fall 2008 book of stories, poems, essays and art. Five poems were submitted and I’m thrilled one of them has been chosen. I’ll let you know when I have the book in my hands and I’ll post the poem here in my online journal.

Electrifying bike ride
I wasn’t expecting the pop up thunder showers to pop up so early in the day. I was out riding, intent on doing 20+ miles, when it started to thunder. Even when the clouds are so thick you can’t see the lightening, if you hear thunder, lightening is around too. And of course, it was raining.

I took refuge from the storm at the home of a high school classmate, Barbara. I knew she wasn’t home but I also knew her roof had an overhang over her deck that would offer some shelter. I stayed there until the thunder subsided then I was on my way.

Less than a mile down the road it started to thunder again. Oh, well! No safe haven available, so I said a quick prayer and rode like the wind…actually I had a nice tail wind. By the time I had gone 3 more miles the sun was coming out and the storm was long gone. When I checked my odometer my average speed for a 21 mile ride was a bit faster than usual. Yours would have been, too. ☺

Obviously I survived.

No comments: