Tuesday, July 29, 2008

REI Outfitting




















Photos
On the Air Line Trail at the Hebron end.
Left: Beaver Lodge.
Right: If you look right above the first 0 in 2007 you will see a cormorant sitting on a box. (Click on photos to enlarge).

Feeding my habit
The first thing I did when I walked through the doors of REI was to become a member of the co-op. I knew I was going to drop several dimes before I was through.

Then I proceeded to buy: Keen commuter biking sandals (will keep my feet cool), 4 pair Smartwool® moisture wicking sport socks (will keep my feet dry), 2 shirts, 1 foul weather jacket, 1 front rack (had to order), 2 panniers, 1 light weight bike lock (my other one weighs a ton), spare tube, tube patching kit, and White Lightening® chain lube (wax based, self-cleaning).

Yet to come will be new mud guards, LED lights, fore and aft, to make me more visible, and I want them to perform an annual maintenance on my bike to be sure it is trail worthy.

I’ve been saving for 2 years for this trip and I’m going to make sure I do it right.

I also got some interesting information that no one else has ever told me. They can put on new gear cassettes to give me easier riding when it comes to hills. I will have to pursue that when I contemplate whether or not to ride the East Coast Greenway. That would take up 4 years (one section a year for 4 years) and there are so many other rides I want to do. So many trails…so little money!

AND I’m not getting any younger! If I take 4 years to ride the ECG I’ll be 76 when I finish. Will I still want to do bike and barge in the Netherlands? Will I still care about riding in Canada and the Maritimes? Those are rides I want to do, too! Well, I’ll do the best I can with the finances and time I have. Stay with me. There are more adventures coming up. Probably some I don’t even know about. ☺☺

No comments: