Monday, April 27, 2009

Heat Got To Me

I didn’t realize the temperature was going to go into upper 80s when I planned my bike ride for this afternoon. Everything went well until about mile 8 when I began to wonder what was the point of this bike riding stuff any way. I started out from one point and would end in the same place. What was the point? Where was the excitement?

I started to wonder if I was having a delayed reaction to the Erie Canal ride where at the end of each day we had to be in a different place. What was going on?

I stopped in the shade to rest and realized I was on the verge of starting to shake and not feel good. It took all I had to break open a bottle of electrolyte solution and guzzle down more than half of it. It tasted good. That’s a sure sign that my electrolytes were depleted.

It had to be the heat. I wasn't sure I could get back to the car. Really kicked the stuffing out of me. I was on the edge of feeling depressed.

I will pay more attention to the temperature from now on. If it’s going to be anywhere near 80 (that used to be my upper limit for heat…who knows what it is now) I will ride early in the morning. I don’t mind getting up at 5 a.m. in order to ride in the cool of the morning. I will save my long rides for the cooler days.

I guess my days of long distance riding are pretty much over. I don’t have my old speed and I spend a lot of time trying to “find my gear” (I don’t mean apparel) as I ride along. Perhaps I’m expecting too much of myself so early in my biking season.

I guess I’ll know better once I do more riding when it’s cool. Let’s hope I haven’t lost the passion.

No comments: