Saturday, April 4, 2009

Sun Damage is Ugly!


Click on this photo to get a good close-up view. Sun damaged skin is not pretty when it's being treated by a dermatologist. This damage probably occurred years, decades, ago before I even turned 20.

Sun damaged skin probably doesn't look pretty if it is left untreated and turns to skin cancer.

The attached photo is what my face looks like right now because I'm being treated for sun damage.

When I was a kid I never protected my skin...who knew. I worked out in the sun-baked tobacco fields from age 5 to 15 and never wore a broad brimmed hat or protected my face in any way.

This is the result. Pretty ugly! But the good news is that I will continue to have a face and nose because I'm getting medical attention!

If you, or some one you know has been out in the sun a lot with no protection, show them this picture. Have your skin taken care of now!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Bev!
It's Elaine. Just wondering exactly what did they do to your face to get it that red? It looks painful...is it?

Beverly said...

I assume this is Elaine H? My dermatologist checks me once a year because I have fair skin and I had auburn hair as a kid. There have been single spots of pre-cancerous lesions that she took care of in the past, but this year the trail went right up the top of my nose. It was time to do more than just a spot.

I am using a prescription cream that makes the skin very red and that is evidence that the pre-cancerous skin cells are being destroyed.

I have two more weeks with the cream. It will take a couple more weeks after that for the red to fade.

When Kathy saw the photo she called me and told me it was a great autopsy picture. Thanks.

I have chosen to walk around looking like this rather than hide, because I have been able to initiate dialogues with others who have decided to see their dermatologist.

If I can save one life it's worth looking this scary! :-))))