Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Ouch, That Hurts


Physical pain
Over the last weekend my face started hurting and got red-er than red, took on the feeling of shellacked cardboard and it hurt. Monday morning I woke up to see tiny blood spots and the skin was no longer flaking…it was cracking.

Emergency visit to dermatologist to be told I was having an allergic reaction to the medication and there was some infection showing up.

So now I’m off the medication but I’m using an antibiotic cream and a cortisone cream to help relieve the itch/sting/pain/infection.

I don’t know when the dermatologist will let me put sunscreen on so I can go bike riding.

Monetary pain
Speaking of bike riding, I took my bike to REI for spring maintenance. After riding in rain every other day (1, 3, 5) last September on the Erie Canal and riding in torrential downpour on day 7, I figured it needed extra attention.

I wasn’t able to get the bike in for maintenance as soon as I got back because my mother started having major medical issues (which are still ongoing). If I had taken it in back then, it might have saved me a few bucks.

The wheel hubs and the crank hub were full of water. The ball bearings were chewed up and rusty. The chain and cogs on the rear “thingy where the chain goes around” were scoured, pitted and otherwise pretty chewed up.

It cost a pretty penny to get all that replaced, BUT it’s worth it to know I will be riding safe this season and for seasons to come.

What do they have in common
The physical pain I’m going through is nothing compared to what could happen if I hadn’t taken action to make sure I don’t get skin cancer on my face. I get to keep my face and nose when this is all over.

The monetary pain…that’s easy to figure out.

Old age
I always told my kids the one thing I was saving for my old age was “me.” I’m still at it.

No comments: