Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Nighttime Visitors




















This is what I saw when I went out to get my Sunday newspaper...raccoon paw prints from a small puddle toward my front steps. I had already seen the bird feeder in the back yard where my raccoons apparently had been bouncing on it. The plastic things that hold the lines closer together were on the ground and the feeder was hanging mighty low. They had bounced some seeds onto the ground, but as far as I can tell, they don’t eat the birdseed. WHY DO THEY KEEP COMING BACK NIGHT AFTER NIGHT? If you are a regular follower of this journal, you remember a year and a half ago (Wednesday, April 9, 2008 Sports and Wild Life) I posted pictures of their paw prints on the windows of the storm door going from the kitchen onto the deck. That was neat!

I hope the folks who buy this house are not afraid of wild life…that the thought of having raccoons visiting at night doesn’t frighten them. Other things that might cause some folks concern: an occasional fox, wild turkeys, deer, rare coyote vocalizing, summer-time critters (slugs, worms, spiders, chipmunks front and back).

Whoever buys this house, I hope they continue feeding the birds. Of course that brings us back to the raccoons. Perhaps the new owners will put up a barrier the bandits can’t get past. That I would like to see!

No comments: