Thursday, June 14, 2012

Around the Block in 1:22:54





I took a bike ride around the block this morning. In addition to enjoying some exercise and beautiful weather, I was on a mission…southern peaches, west coast Bing cherries, and broccoli crowns at Geissler’s super market. All on sale, of course.

From there I headed over the bridge to Windsor Locks and the canal bike path. Once on the path I was alert for suicidal chipmunks…and there were quite a few that safely darted across my path. There used to be a lot of rabbits, but I think the coyotes got ‘em all.

I took some pictures of the eagle nest (see above). It seems to be intact, but for some reason the nest failed. I don’t know if it was the eggs that failed to hatch or the babies failed to survive. If I find out, I'll post it.

As I was taking the pictures, I heard a train coming and I knew it was a freight by the way it started slowing down right after the engine cleared Windsor Locks. (The tracks run along the west side of the canal before they cross the river into Enfield.) I raced lickety split (if you can call 15 mph likety split) to the trestle where I could watch the cars. This freight had to be a mile or more long!

Once the train was gone I continued my ride until I met a couple looking at something out on the river with binoculars. Then I heard what they had been watching. It had to be one very large fish jumping and splashing down. I didn’t see it, but it had to be either a very large bass, or, more likely a catfish. I’ve seen huge catfish trapped in backwaters after floods. Apparently we grow them very big here in Connecticut!

Almost to the end, and I spot a bug trap in a tree. (see picture above) Mosquitoes I assume. A man walking by said it had been there for a couple years. Really? How come I hadn’t seen it before? Huh.


(Note: I have since learned that these are emerald ash borer traps.)

At the Suffield end of the canal, the path takes a left, over the canal, and continues with a sharp right up a short hill into the parking lot area. Today I rode up the hill without stalling out and falling over. Remember the guy on Laugh In? He rode that little trike across the stage and would tip over? He always got a laugh. I didn’t!  What happened was I started from a dead stop…in high gears…and it was up a hill for Pete’s sake. It was the first time I’ve fallen with the bike (or with anything for that matter) since I started bike riding as an adult. When I was a kid I remember scraping the tarred roads more than once. The black and blue marks will disappear eventually…it’s only been a week.

Once back up onto Route 5, I headed for the farm store to buy my farm-fresh cherry yogurt before going home.

Ah, home. And thus ended my 13.5 mile ride around the block with panniers full of fruits, veggies and yogurt. No need to take the car.

No comments: