Tuesday, June 19, 2012

This is what the end of the trail used to look like. Big drop off!
About 10 years ago talks began about putting a covered bridge across the gap in the trail that is Route 316. For 10 years I’ve been waiting. This past spring the bridge was FINALLY installed. Today I will ride over it. I’ve never gone further than the Route 316 drop off. My goal is to ride 10 miles (4  miles beyond the bridge) just to see what the trail is like, then turn around.

The lush woods surround me creating a sun-dappled path. I can hear an occasional bird, the air rushing past my ears and the hiss of my tires on the hard packed dirt and stone dust. All around me is the fragrance of moist earth and, at times, I ride through a band of fragrance coming from unseen flowers.

Roads needing to be crossed: Steeles Crossing, Bailey, Burnap Brook, and Wales. The section I’m riding today starts in Bolton, cuts through a corner of Coventry, and ends in Andover.

The ride thus far, 2.7 mi., has been all down hill and will continue down hill right into Andover. Of course the return trip will be…my favorite…up hill!

At 4.6 mi. I cross Burnap Brook Rd., I can hear the stream below the trail. This is a beautiful spot to stop and cool off on a hot summer day. The stream can’t be seen right away where the trail crosses the road. Following the sound, I carefully descend a moderately steep hill shaded by pine trees. At the bottom, Burnap Brook gushes, gurgles and pops over rocks.